ProMedica Toledo Hospital provides access to the highest quality OB/Gyn services and pregnancy and childbirth education. Our professional and friendly staff focuses on meeting the individual needs of women and their babies.
The Center for Women's Health offers a wide range of gynecologic services at the Center for Health Services (2150 West Central Avenue). The staff of board-certified obstetricians/gynecologists, certified nurse midwives, physician assistants, and registered and licensed practical nurses provide gynecologic evaluations and screenings.
Gynecologic services include Pap smears and the evaluation of abnormal results, fertility evaluations and family planning, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, and consultation and care for menstrual difficulties and menopause.
Consultations on alternatives to hysterectomy and other surgeries and hormone replacement therapy are also available.
When hospital services are needed, Toledo Hospital provides state-of-the-art surgical suites and a highly experienced staff to care for women's surgery needs, including hysterectomies and laparoscopic procedures.
In addition, the medical oncology inpatient unit offers special services dedicated solely to women diagnosed with gynecological cancer. Tailored to patients undergoing active cancer treatment, the unit is staffed by board-certified gynecological oncologists, oncology-trained nurses and specialized health professionals.
Call 419-291-2192 for more information about OB/Gyn services at the Center for Health Services, or learn more about OB/Gyn services throughout ProMedica.
Labor and Delivery
ProMedica Toledo Hospital features one of the most advanced birthing facilities in the region. Obstetric and neonatal physicians, plus anesthesiologists, are on site 24 hours a day. Other features include:
- Spacious labor, delivery and recovery suites and postpartum rooms, as well as accommodations for your support partner. To schedule a maternity tour, please print out and complete the program form.
- A Level III regional perinatal unit which cares for high-risk patients with the highest level of accreditation possible.
- Postpartum support groups. For more information, call 419-291-5666.
Certified Nurse Midwives
Certified Nurse Midwives of Toledo provides personalized gynecologic care and education for women of all ages, from adolescence through post-menopause. Encouraging women to actively participate in all aspects of their care, midwives support each person's need to make choices that are safe and respectful of their wishes.
Women's health care services provided by Certified Nurse Midwives of Toledo include:
- Annual pelvic and breast exams, Pap smears and other health screenings
- Breast care, including instruction on breast self-exam and mammograms
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Family planning, preconception counseling and examination
- Menopause health management, including hormone replacement therapy and alternatives
- Support with complementary health care, such as yoga, meditation, massage, herbs and homeopathy
Midwives deliver more than 1,200 babies each year at Toledo Hospital. Comprehensive prenatal visits are family oriented and provide education to help women prepare for labor, birthing, breastfeeding and parenting. In addition, midwives are available 24 hours a day to offer a wide variety of options for labor, birthing and alternative pain control methods, as well as standard pain-relieving medications and epidural anesthesia. When needed, new mothers and babies also have immediate access to specialists in obstetrics, anesthesia and newborn care. Call 419-291-2192 for more information about Certified Nurse Midwives.
Preparation for Parenthood
Preparation for Parenthood offers a variety of programs and classes to help you prepare for your new baby.
Childbirth Class: ($85/couple) This comprehensive course offers in-depth information and an opportunity to ask questions and socialize with other expectant parents. Childbirth topics include stages of labor, birth, the role of your support person, pain relief options, hands-on practice of relaxation, breathing techniques, comfort measures and more. Learn about caring for your new baby, car-seat safety and comforting a crying baby. Also, understand the benefits of breastfeeding, how to get started and practical breastfeeding techniques. Classes meet once a week for five weeks.
Childbirth: Express Weekend ($135/couple): The five-week Childbirth Class is condensed into a two-day weekend class that meets Friday, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Course materials, meals and snacks are provided.
Lactation Center Services:
- Warmline: For questions about breastfeeding, please call 419-291-4577 to speak with or leave a message for the lactation consultant. Calls after 3:30 p.m. are returned the next business day.
- Lactation follow-up visits: For reassurance and help with breastfeeding problems, please schedule by calling 419-291-4577.
- Nursing Mother’s Group: Casual afternoon gathering for breastfeeding moms and their babies to relax and share information. Please call 419-291-5667 for meeting location.
- Breastfeeding Class for Working Mothers: Small class size will help breastfeeding mother develop a plan for a smooth transition back to work or school. Please see dates and times on the registration form.
Big Brother and Big Sister Class ($12 per child): Help your 3- to 10-year-old prepare for the arrival of the newest family member. Fun activities are planned, including a tour of the nursery areas and decorating a onesie to welcome the new baby. (A onesie will be provided.) Parents are asked to attend this two-hour class free with their children.
Baby Care ($32): Learn about the special care of your newborn including feeding, car-seat safety and comforting a crying baby. This class is included in the Childbirth Class series.
Breastfeeding ($32): Gain the confidence and knowledge needed for a successful nursing experience. Learn the benefits of breastfeeding, how to get started and practical breastfeeding techniques. This class is included in the Childbirth Class Series.
Infant Safety and CPR ($32 per person): Injuries are the number one cause of disability and death among children. As a parent, you are often the first person to react in a child's emergency. You will learn prevention and safety, management of choking and CPR in this three-hour class.
Maternity tours: (Free) This tour is recommended during the seventh or eighth month of your pregnancy. Maternity tours are not included as part of the Childbirth Class. At ProMedica Toledo Hospital, tours are available every Wednesday at 7 p.m. and on the first and third Sunday of each month at 1 p.m. Tours are not offered on major holidays. For more information, please call 419-291-5666.
Moms in Motion: Using water aerobics, this exercise program helps moms stay in shape safely during and after pregnancy. The 60-minute class meets twice a week for four weeks at Wildwood Athletic Club, 2865 N. Reynolds Rd., Toledo. A physician or nurse-midwife's participation release is required at the first class. Call 419-291-5666 for registration information.
To register for classes:
- Print out and complete the registration form. The form includes a class schedule. Call 419-291-5666 with questions about classes or services.
- Please register for classes early in your pregnancy, but plan to start class by week 32 of pregnancy.
- Whenever possible, please indicate a second choice of class date(s) on your registration form.
- Written confirmation, which will include the locations of the classes you have selected, will be mailed to you. If you do not receive a confirmation letter within two weeks of mailing your registration to us, please call 419-291-5666.