The American College of Surgeons (ACS) has designated Toledo Children’s Hospital as a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center because we provide a higher level of care for critically injured pediatric patients. We are the first designated Pediatric Trauma Center in northwest Ohio. This status also affirms that we have:
- A specialized pediatric emergency department capable of managing complex emergencies. One call starts a smooth and seamless process.
- Physicians with pediatric specialties and subspecialties who are trained to address children's unique medical needs.
- Outreach educational programs for our community (lead agency for Safe Kids Greater Toledo).
- A Pediatric Intensive Care Unit staffed by pediatric intensivists.
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredited for Pediatrics and Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Air ambulance or critical care mobile transportation services in emergency situations.
Why is a specialized pediatric trauma center important? Traumatic injuries are the leading cause of death in children in the United States. Unintentional injuries kill more than 12,000 children and young adults between the ages of one and 19 years in the U.S. every year.
What Is a “Designated” Pediatric Trauma Center?
According to the ACS, institutions that achieve level II pediatric trauma center status possess not only the hospital resources necessary for trauma care, but also the entire spectrum of care to address the needs of all injured patients. This spectrum encompasses the pre-hospital phase through the rehabilitation process.
Pediatric Trauma designation verifies that ProMedica Toledo Children’s Hospital has the clinical expertise and specialty pediatric staffing to care for critically injured children. We have expert pediatric physicians in many subspecialties, which include general surgery, emergency medicine, anesthesia, orthopedics and neurosurgery.
We also house the technologically-advanced equipment needed to effectively resuscitate patients regardless of age or body size. Injuries Cared for by the Pediatric Trauma Team:
- Abdominal and chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Injuries to extremities
- Drowning/Near drowning